UNM: CALL FOR WORKS 2019
DEADLINE 15 JULY 2018 KL 23:59
We are now accepting applications for next year’s UNM Festival! 2019’s festival will be held in Piteå, Sweden between the 26th of August and the 1st of September. Any style, genre or medium is welcome – including but not limited to notated music, electronic music, sound art and performance art.
Seven works are selected and programmed at the festival in Piteå. The creators of the selected works are reimbursed for travel costs to and from Piteå as well as provided housing during the festival.
Application and criterion
- Persons born 1989 or later are eligible for applying. If you are not a Swedish citizen, you should be residing, studying or having a considerable amount of your artistic practice in Sweden.
- A maximum of two works may be entered per person. Please note that only one of your works can be selected for the festival.
- Any person may participate in a maximum of five UNM-festivals, irrespective of what country that person is representing.
- Any person selected to represent Sweden at last year’s festival (UNM 2018), may not apply for this year (but may apply in the future).
- If you, for any reason, are eligible to apply for UNM in another country than Sweden, you may apply in only one of the countries. If it is discovered that a person has applied in two countries for the same festival, that person is disqualified.
- All material should be completely anonymous – the creator’s real name cannot appear, nor information such as commissions, premiere performance, musicians. However, the title of the work must appear clearly on all material.
* Please note that if you include a sound file, it cannot contain any of the above information. Remember to change metadata using for example iTunes or Windows Media Player if necessary.
- For each work submitted, a Google Drive folder must be created containing either both or any one of the below:
* Score or graphical representation or description of the work (where applicable)
Recording or audio file or video of the work (where applicable/available)
*Please use compressed formats (eg. MP3 for audio) for media. Avoid .WAV and .AIFF formats.
For conventionally notated music where no recording is available, please include a mock-up (e.g. audio exported from Sibelius/Finale or a mock-up done in a DAW such as Cubase or Logic).
- This Google Drive folder should then be shared to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is possible to apply with installations, sound art works, performance works, proposals for works/sketches et cetera. If you are unsure how to best present your work, or have any other questions, please contact UNM for more information at email@example.com.
To apply to the festival, share one or two Google Drive folders with firstname.lastname@example.org (as per above) and fill out this form.
If you do not have a Google account, or are unsure how to share a Google Drive folder, refer to https://sites.google.com/site/gdocswebquest/task.
Incomplete, non-anonymous or late applications cannot be considered.
Only the Swedish UNM organization will have access to your information. The jury only receive the works themselves.
Note: UNM has implemented a gender quota. The decision to introduce some form of quota was made jointly the five nordic UNM boards, with the details for each respective country up to each board. Given the overrepresentation of male composers and creators within the field, we wish to work towards a more equal music life. This is not necessarily a permanent action, but at the very least an effort to change the nature of who is represented and where.
This quota works as follows: the traditionally overrepresented group (males) may constitute a maximum of 50% of the selected works over time. This is achieved by the following criterias:
-A given year, a maximum of 4 works by male composers may be programmed at the festival.
-4 works by male composers may not be programmed two years in a row (3 of the works being programmed the second year, instead)
For comments, thoughts and questions regarding this, contact us at email@example.com.