Call for works - SPOR festival for contemporary music and sound art
SPOR festival for contemporary music and sound art invites composers and sound artists to submit a proposal for a new work to be realized at SPOR 2016, Aarhus, DK.
FEE FOR REALIZING THE PROPOSAL: € 1.000
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING: November 9th 2015.
THEME OF THE CALL AND FESTIVAL IN 2016:
The proposal may describe a wide range of projects, from works for ensemble and music theatre pieces to sound
art installations. In 2016 the festival theme is WYSI(N)WYG, an acronym for What You See Is (Not) What You
Get. With this offset we wish to pick up the ancient theme of mimesis and the related questions to ‘reality’ and
take it into modern daily life; (virtual) reality, the many personalities we have on the internet, technology, social
life vs. social media, original vs. copy...
The submitted proposal should reflect the theme of the festival, handle it either concrete or
CONDITIONS AND JURY:
The Call for Proposals is open to all types of composers and sound artists, from all over the world. You may only
submit in one proposal. An international jury will judge the proposals and choose five proposals to be realized at
SPOR festival 2016.
Each selected composer/artist/group of artists will receive a fee of € 1.000 for realizing the work. SPOR will
cover travel expenses of up to € 200 and provide two night’s accommodation in Aarhus, Denmark.
If the Call ensemble GAME (see below) finds it necessary and it is possible to arrange dates that suit both
ensemble and composer, there will be an opportunity to rehearse with GAME before the festival in Brussels.
The jury members for Call for Proposals 2016 are:
Michael Beil (DE, Composer)
Stefan Prins & Pieter Matthynssens (BE, Artistic Directors Nadar Ensemble)
Agostino Di Scipio (IT, composer and sound artist)
Tom Pauwels (BE, Artistic Director Call ensemble)
Anna Berit Asp Christensen & Anne Marqvardsen (DK, festival directors, SPOR)
The jury’s decision is final and cannot be legally challenged.
• Type of works: Acoustic, electronic, electro-acoustic, sound installation (with or without visuals),
ensemble piece, solo performance or music theatre.
• Duration: For ensemble pieces and performances max. 15 min. Sound installations will run through the
• Technical provision: 1 projector + screen; 1 stereo sound-system (with a small mixer); 4 microphones.
• Further instrumentalists, performers or technical equipment must be provided by the artist/composer.
• Non-technical items such as costumes, scenery and materials for installations must be provided by the
• Ensemble/instruments available – tutti or in smaller formations:
o GAME (Ghent Advanced Master Ensemble) under the artistic direction of Tom Pauwels:
Ruben Martinez-Orio (percussion) Primoz Zukic (guitar/e-guitar) Hannah Reardon-Smith
(flute(s) Hanna Kölbel (cello) & Gwenaëlle Rouger (piano/keyboard).
o GAME unites different collaborations between the students from the Advanced Master of
Contemporary Music programme at the Royal Conservatory, Ghent, supported by Ictus and
Spectra. GAME is the banner under which a young vanguard of excellent musicians joins
forces, create new works and open-mindedly explore the most recent trends of the
contemporary music scene.
o Contact: Tom Pauwels, (pauwels (a) ictus.be)
o More info:
• Concert and staged works will be presented at one of the main venues of the festival.
• Installations can be presented at various venues in Aarhus (indoor/outdoor), agreed with the festival.
WHAT TO SEND:
• Fill out the PDF-form with your personal info, a short description of your proposal and links to 2-3 sound
or video files that represent your work from the last 5 years. (download the form here:
• Maximum 2 pages of text as PDF describing one work that you wish to create and realize at the SPOR
festival 2016 + link to streaming of video and/or sound file sketches (optional).
Please name the file “Proposal_text”
• CV. Please name the file “CV”
• Accompanying scores in PDF format are also welcome but optional.
9. Nov. 2015: Deadline for sending in proposals.
Primo January 2016: The 5 chosen proposals will be announced in the SPOR
newsletter and on social media platforms.
1. March 2016: Deadline for delivering scores, parts and technical riders.
12.-15. May 2016: Performance/presentation at SPOR festival 2016 in Aarhus.
WHERE TO SEND THE PROPOSAL:
Anne Bøgh (production manager) anneboegh (a) sporfestival.dk
SPOR is not able to consider proposals that do not conform to the guidelines outlined above.
Furthermore, the jury/SPOR reserves the right to choose less than 5 proposals.