7th Sterkfontein Composers Meeting
2020-01-13 to 2020-01-19
Nirox Foundation, Sterkfontein
Artists in Residence
X[iksa] Yasutaka Hemmi (violin) Takayo Matsumura (harp)
Michael Blake assisted by Pierre-Henri Wicomb
- Daily Workshops and Masterclasses
- Discussions and Listening Sessions
- Composer Presentations
- Performances by X[iksa]
- Applications are invited from composers to participate in the 7th Sterkfontein Composers Meeting with the Japanese ensemble X[iksa], who were artists in residence at the inaugural meeting in 2012 at Nirox.
- Because of funding restrictions, this will be a non-residential meeting and composers should be based in Gauteng, with their own transport to the Nirox Foundation. Composers may also arrange to stay in local B & B accommodation at their own expense. SCM can suggest possible B & Bs.
- The meeting will take place daily 13-18 January 2020 from 10h00 – 18h00. Lunch and tea/coffee will be provided at the Nirox Foundation. A public concert of the work produced will be presented on Sunday 19 January at Nirox. The concert will be recorded.
- As socially and politically aware composers, and given the environmental crisis caused by climate change which is reaching monumental proportions, Michael Blake and the Board of SCM would like to devote the 2020 meeting to exploring that theme.
- Composers will be invited to create work with video to be played with live music. A suggestion is to compose a minimum of three 60” sketches to video clips of your choice: you can either use your own video or material taken from online creative commons repositories such as https://www.pexels.com/
- Unless you have applied to join a meeting in the past 12 months, send a short CV, a photo, a select list of compositions, 2 scores in PDF format and online links to performances of at least 1 of those works.
- Please include a short motivation as to why you would like to attend, what you hope to achieve, and what contribution you feel you could make to South African music after being at the meeting.
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org