RIOT Ensemble Nordic Call for sketches & Ideas
Workshop with RIOT Ensemble on Nordic Music Days
During Nordic Music Days 28/9-1/10 2017 in Southbank Centre, London, three Nordic and three British composers will get the opportunity to work with RIOT ensemble.
Nordic Music Days will be a fireworks of contemporary Nordic music, but we also want it to be a starting point for new Nordic-British musical collaborations. Therefore NMD organize a number of networking and collaborational activities, one of them being a series of closed workshops with the RIOT ensemble. In these workshops, six composers work closely with the ensemble – 2 hours each – to experiment and try unusual or conventional ideas, with the aim of creating new pieces for the ensemble. 13 April 2018, Musik i Syd will arrange a concert in Helsingborg, Sweden, where the resulting pieces will be premiered.
Composers from or permanently residing in one of the Nordic countries – Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Åland, Sápmi – are invited to send in sketches or ideas for this workshop. A committee will then select three Nordic composers for the workshop (the British composers have already been separately selected). NMD will take care of travels and accommodation to London and Helsingborg for selected composers.
Call for sketches
- Composers from or permanently residing in Nordic countries are invited to send sketches and ideas for pieces for RIOT ensemble, see below for instrumentation.
- Sketches may be newly created or existing pieces, but they should not have been premiered by any ensemble.
- Maximum duration 8 minutes.
- The workshops will be acoustic, and there will be no electronics setup present.
- Send scores/sketches/ideas as PDF to email@example.com , with subject line RIOT Workshop
- Along with the piece, also state your name, country, email, and any information necessary about the piece.
- Send sketches/ideas as soon as possible, but no later than August 28th, 23.59.
- Selected composers must be able to attend the events on September 28-29 2017, and April 13-14 2018.
- NMD will take care of travels and accommodation for selected composers.
- The selection will be announced August 28th. Everyone applying will be notified of the selection.
- Clarinet/Bass Clarinet (1 player)
- Percussion (small setup)
Any questions about this call should be sent to Martin Q Larsson, Artistic Director firstname.lastname@example.org