International Choral Composition Competition Alberto Grau
1. The Aequalis Foundation announces the first edition of the International Choral Composition Competition "Alberto Grau", as a tribute to the trajectory of this distinguished composer, arranger and Venezuelan choral conductor of Catalan origin, who will turn 80 years old in November 2017.
2. The main objective of the competition is to promote the creation in the field of choral music, encouraging the growth, renewal and diffusion of repertoire written in Spanish for mixed and equal voices in the 21st century from Venezuela, a country recognized by the development of choral art in its different areas.
3. The competition is focused on the creation of new choral music suitable for choirs in the following categories: mixed, female voices, male voices and children. An international jury made up of renowned musicians from different countries in America and Europe: Robert Sund (Sweden), Javier Busto (Spain), Zimfira Poloz (Kazakhstan-Canada), César Alejandro Carrillo (Venezuela), Ana María Raga (Venezuela) will be in charge of the selection of the winning works.
4. Each category will be awarded by a unique prize, as described in the bases. The Competition will award a VoxPopuli mention to the work for mixed choir, composed by a participant from the American continent. The work will be chosen by internet voting. The winner composition will be interpreted by choristers in different parts of the world who will sing in a virtual choir modality. The works to be voted in this category will have been previously selected as finalists by the jury.
5. The Competition will be launched on May 2 and the reception of works will last until August 25, 2017 at 11:59 pm (Venezuela time).
6. The Competition is endorsed by the European Choral Association – Europa Cantat, in strategic partnership with the Europa Cantat XX Festival, to be held in Tallinn, Estonia, 2018.
7. A ceremony to announce the winners will be held within the framework of a gala concert in honor of Alberto Grau between November and December 2017.
8. The works will be premiered in 2018 by recognized choirs from Venezuela and other places of Latin America, in an event that will be announced in due course. The winning composition of the VoxPopuli category will be presented in virtual modality on November, 2018.
9. The International Choral Composition Competition "Alberto Grau" will take place every 3 years.